Marifield House B+B.
Marifield House was established in 2002 by current owners/operators, Toshie Kikuta and David Helme.
In case you are wondering about Room 2
Room 2 sleeps 1 – 4 people
We have two dining areas (photo used with permission)
One is in the guest living room…
…the other is in the dining room…
Location – We are located in the historical neighbourhood of James Bay. We are a 7 minute walk from the Inner Harbour, the Royal BC Museum. and the Empress Hotel.
Is it noisy on Government Street? No. It’s relatively quiet as is our house.
Government Street is tree-lined where we live and the streets are checker block full of heritage houses. Ours is not a heritage house but it could be.
We have off-street parking, free wifi.
For our Japanese Guests…
David’s Book is new.
In August, 2016, David finally published his book — “Victoria’s Past: The View from Marifield House”
The book is developed around the chronology supplied by a land title search of the property. Following the time line back the property goes from the single lot it is today to pasture land and beyond.
Early past owners — the Hudson’s Bay Company, Colonel Moody, Bishop Hills, Rowland Wignall Fawcett — are viewed in their historical context. Much of the content of the book is derived from material from the British Columbia Archives, and includes letters, photos etc. Other content is supplied by the reminiscences of some of Victoria’s most well-known pioneers: Dr. Helmcken, Emily Carr to name a few.
After being purchased by the HBC from the local First Nations the property was sold in 1862, when the HBC was selling off its land holdings in Victoria. The property underwent its first subdivision with sections being bought by Royal Engineer and land speculator, Colonel Richard Moody. One year later Moody sold a 12-acre parcel to Bishop George Hills, the Anglican Bishop of British Columbia. The property was identified in church ledgers as “Victoria Parkland ” for being located adjacent to Beacon Hill Park. To locals it became known as “Bishop’s Field.”
The property was bought as an investment and the church held on to it until 1878, when it began to sell country-sized lots. A narrow 1 1/4 acre lot that ran from Government Street (then Carr St.) to Beacon Hill Park was sold to Rowland Fawcett and James Kennedy, good, ordinary folk, one a family man with nine children and the other a bachelor. No photos of the Fawcett’s house, which stood approximately where Marifield House stands today, have been found but the sketch of the house’s floor plan was found in one of Rowland’s daughter’s school notebooks. (Kennedy lived in a cabin near the park.)
The house that Fawcett built lasted until 1924, when the property was sold by the Fawcett estate and replaced by the present house (named Marifield House by Toshie and David). Information and descriptions of past owners of Marifield House are provided by archival material and the reminiscences of their relatives. As for the current owners, David describes how he met his wife Toshie in Japan, gives a brief outline of her career there as a business owner, and then talks about coming to Canada and starting the B+B.
The book is available at Sorenson Books in Victoria
Location – we are 4 doors from Carr House, the Carr family home.
Emily Carr is one of Canada’s most well-known painters and authors.
Location – we are 5 minutes walk from beautiful Beacon Hill Park
Location – We are 5 minutes walk from the seashore
Location – Government Street is tree-lined and residential in our corner of Victoria’s most historical neighbourhood of James Bay.
Our hydrangea Garden
Some recommended places to visit in Victoria
-Point Ellice House, museum, tea
-Government House, gardens, grounds and tea room
-Ogden Point Breakwater
-Beacon Hill Park
Sooke and area:
Whiffin Spit, Sooke Harbour Board Walk, China Beach (Day-use area).
Closer to Victoria – Goldstream Park and nature house.
– Whitty’s Lagoon Park